AAAAYYYEEEE! Damn, it - we made it!
We did it y'all. Another 'cruel winter' (no Kanye plug intended) is now in the rear view behind us. I don't know about you, but it seems like winter gets longer and longer each year. Fortunately, now that this year's summer solstice has come and gone, we're in for longer, warmer and brighter days ahead; which is why we ought to plan to make the best and the most of our summer months before they pass us by.
So today's post is a short one, focused on what summer means to me and the things that make it one of my top two favourite seasons of all time. Friends/readers, I introduce to you:
SHAOLIN'S SUMMER SWISH LIST
(SWISH = a basketball reference that translates to "Nothing but net", aka "Perfection")
1. SUMMER RAIN: No, not the Carl Thomas song (although that joint is a 90s classic in my opinion). I mean actual rain storms in the summer. There's something about being caught in a quick downpour in the blistering heat that makes life a bit more thrilling. During colder months when rain is expected, it's almost insulting to be soaked as soon as you step out of your front door. But in the summertime, it's like the universe's way of turning on a fire hydrant so that you can get a quick cool-down.
2. FIRE PLAYLIST: Everyone knows that there are just certain jams that are built for the summertime. Right now, that Dancin Kizomba joint is on repeat in my brain. It usually takes me a good 24 hours to a full weekend to curate a bumpin' Summer Time playlist that I can keep on loop for the better part of the summer. From dancehall to reggaeton, to up tempo R&B, to infectiously corny pop, to flirty EDM, to dirty bass-heavy trap music, to standard throwbacks... A fire playlist that blares from your car stereo while you cruise with the windows down, is an absolute MUST-HAVE. It's an awesome feeling. I take my playlists very seriously, particularly in the summer.
3. SHADES: Summertime means you gotta have your "hater blockers" (aka sunnies) on whenever you step out. Me personally? I prefer a nice pair of oversized sunnies for the summer. almost à la Anna Wintour. Furthermore, summer gives us a reason to take people who wear sunglasses at night just a smidge more seriously (because extended daylight and what not). Aside from that though - sorry, Cory Hart... there's just no valid reason for wearing sunglasses at night.
4. BARBECUES/COOKOUTS: There are few things I love more than the smell of smokey meat on a grill. And summertime is always sure to bring out a stream of invites to barbecues/cookouts. Heck, even when I'm not invited, I might just pop up to someone's house in the sheer hopes that a BBQ will spontaneously pop off. Plus, if you're craving smokey goodness, summer is also the time for ALL OF THE "___FESTS"... including RIBFEST (*sluuurps & puts my adult bib on*).
5. PATIOS: Now, I don't know what it is about sipping a $12 drink on a patio that trumps enjoying a free beverage in the comfort of my own home, but this seems to be the case for many people come summer... especially those of us who can't afford to jet off to luxurious island destinations throughout the year. Meeting up with friends for a drink (or five) on a sun-soaked patio and watching passers-by is such a simple and yet necessary pleasure. It's basically a staycation in 2 to 3-hour increments. Oh, and during times like Euro Cup soccer, the patio vibe is even that much more lit because: who doesn't love the possibility of a fan brawl ensuing between die-hard soccer fans who came out to obnoxiously support their favourite soccer clubs on the big screen?
6. SUMMER BODS: I mean. Come on. It goes without saying that random walks, drives, or errands tend to get a little bit more exciting when there are well-toned and chiseled bodies to take in at nearly every turn. Those of us who were dedicated enough to put in work at the gym during the winter months get to bask in all our fit glory... while the rest of us simply enjoy the view. Either way... win-win! Dad-bods are welcome, as long as you work them the right way. And remember folks, you can look - just don't TOUCH!
7. EPIC. SUMMER. ROAD TRIPS: It goes without saying that road trips with the homies can quite easily equate to some of the best times of your life. During the cold winter months, we're trapped in hibernation mode; missing our friends and social circles, often opting to stay in the warmth of our homes over braving the elements outside. Once summer arrives though, planning visits with friends becomes second-nature. And nothing beats a getaway with your crew to catch-up, bond, share aux cords in the car, and experience new adventures away from everyday life. Often times, it's the trip itself and not the destination that sticks with you the most. Yassss for road trip bonding.
All in all, summer for me, is a time to RELAX, RELATE, & RELEASE (wink wink to those of you who caught the 90s sitcom reference)! It's a season to reclaim my energy, re-order my priorities and re-envision my life. I don't know if I'd go as far as to say that it's a season of "rebirth", but perhaps it is in a sense. Summer invokes in me a sense of fantasy and less social anxiety. I feel like I'm more inclined to make an effort to get to know people when the weather gets warm. Maybe the summer heat just melts away my cold heart (hahaha!). Who knows. In a nutshell, summer is a season of yet-to-be discovered passions and possibilities... And I am here for all of this.
BRING. ON. SUMMER.